Thursday, January 26, 2017

Catching up

I've been amassing photos on my phone, and I've just loaded them all onto this blog, so I'll let them guide me through the past couple of weeks.

A new acquaintance had recommended a salon and stylist in Ocean Springs, which is a good way from Bay St Louis, but I decided to try her out. She did a respectable job (you'll see some photos of me later on), and on the way back I took the shore drive through Biloxi, Gulfport, etc. Near Biloxi was a roadside park where Remy and I stopped so he could have a little constitutional.


This beautiful bird stood stock still watching a man check his crab traps. I talked to the man. He said she's always there, watching him, and waiting for him to throw her something. If you look closely, you can see that her left leg is lame. It was cool to be able to get so close to her, especially with Remy in tow.


Rick received a new hammock for Christmas from his sister. 


You may get tired of beautiful view from and of the Bay Bridge, but I never get tired of riding this route and seeing the different shows that the ocean and the sky put on. 


This photo and the next are from beneath the eastern side of the Bay Bridge between Bay St Louis and Pass Christian.



And this shows how hot and humid it was riding that day!



Crossing Lake Ponchartrain on the way into NOLA one evening, probably for my Voice Acting class. This has been an interesting experience. I've had four classes with Marc Preston, an experienced voice talent. The problem is that, each week, there's someone new, and he goes through a 45-minute spiel that I could almost recite for you after hearing it 4 times. There's a lot of good stuff in it, but it gets kind of long. 


More Bay St Louis pics. The weather has, according to the locals, been unseasonably warm. I'm not complaining. What that means here is that the temps have stayed in the mid 60s to low 70s during the day; and that means that it feels even warmer because the humidities here are much higher than they are in West Michigan at any time of year.


Another gorgeous day along the beach near our house.


On my normal, daily ride to the Treehouse Yoga studio in "downtown" Bay St Louis, I pass this park. Above, you can see children and ducks. Below is the sign seen on both sides of the park.




A sample of the mist that hangs over the area most times from dusk till dawn, at least, and sometimes well into the morning hours.


Our evening walk along the paved path of the beach road. Sometimes mist turns to rain fairly quickly, and sometimes it just hovers like this.


I got new glasses from Zenni. I think the prescription is a little better, but the biggest difference is that the lenses aren't scratched, so I can see so much better.

I had planned to march in New Orleans last Saturday, in support of women and those most threatened by new policies coming into effect with the new administration. But as the day drew closer, I realized that I didn't want to try to figure out where to park and be alone in such a large group of people. So Remy and I went to Gulfport. As it turns out, there were about 500 people marching there. Not bad for such a small community in such a red state.


I thought this sign was pretty funny!


There were a lot of children present at the march.



I met these two: Janet and Pam. They're from Michigan! They winter for about 3 weeks in Ocean Springs. I'm just sorry I didn't meet them till their stay was almost over, but we met up for supper a few days after this picture was taken; and I'm sure I'll be visiting them at their home near Grayling when I'm back in Michigan this coming summer.


This is a photo of the group getting ready to get underway. While Janet, Pam, and I stood waiting for people to come out of the building, a large pickup truck with two Confederate flags flying from the back pulled up on the side street near us. A frisson of apprehension went through the crowd, but then some of us just smiled and waved at the man in the truck in a friendly manner. No angry words were exchanged, and he went on his way.


The group marched along Highway 90. The going was rough for Pam in her scooter, so she and I turned off after a bit. She hung out while I went back and got their car, and helped her load the scooter into the back. Those things are cool! They come apart and fold up quite small. 


Meanwhile, elsewhere in the country, others were marching happily and proudly! Alice and David in LA.


Mary and friends in (or near) Penn Valley, CA.


Remy representing, wearing his rainbow collar.



After lots of rain, this sunshine was so welcome!


Our new friend, Licorice, who lives under the siding of the house and waits in absolute stillness till a bug appears, then darts out to eat.

Here's some stuff you need to know that doesn't have pictures attached. 

I gave the sermon at North Shore Unitarian Universalist Church in Lacombe, where I've been attending. This happened this past Sunday, 1/22. I put the text of the sermon on my other blog: sacredspacemdp.weebly.com in case anyone is interested. I felt that the service went well, and that my message was appreciated and well-received. 

Now for the hard news. Remy bit me. He didn't break the skin, but it obviously came from fear and mistrust, not just a warning. This event has permanently damaged a bond of trust that I thought we had, even though he absolutely did not trust anyone else for the entire 3 years that we have been together. Several times over the past 3 years I have considered having him euthanized because of his inability to cope with life in general, but I have persevered because of the bond that we have had. His biting me broke that bond, and I have finally come to realize that, although he not old or sick, he is not happy being in this life. He is frightened and isolated, and now that I can't trust him not to bite me, he is even more isolated. 

I have made arrangements for a mobile vet to visit us tomorrow morning to euthanize him. I am devastated to lose my companion, but I lost him the moment he bit me. I have many memories of his devotion and anxious love, and of difficult times when he lashed out at other people. I love this boy so much, but we can't continue.

I appreciate all the suggestions people have made about places to send him and people to consult. I have followed up on many of them, but the no-kill shelters are full (help fund them!), and Remy is "too old" to adapt, according to at least one of them. I have been so torn about this whole process, and just when I come to peace with the decision someone else will say, "Have you tried this?" or "Here's a no-kill shelter where he could go." That just happened a few minutes ago, and I'm sobbing again. I checked the place out and sent them an email, but their office is closed for the day, and I probably won't hear from them before morning. 

So, I'm saying good-bye to my dear friend, my nearly constant companion since May 1. The sweet things about him will live in my heart always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment