Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Catching up again

Maybe I'm finally getting back to the appropriateness of the title of this blog. No, I'm not riding cross country, but I have bicycled at least 10 miles on 5 of the last 8 days, and my average speed and my stamina are improving. Before I left on this latest jaunt, I started teaching Archie to ride in the bike cart, so I can go for longer rides and not feel guilty about leaving him at "home."



"Home," until July 7, is at Annie's house. She has a large, finished basement; and while it is used by the family, there is room for me and my stuff. I bought a futon frame and mattress, and I sleep comfortably there ... more comfortably than I did on the couch. I suspect, if the weather stays hot, I'll have more family company down there when I get back from ...

North Carolina! I thought I was nuts heading south in the heat once again, but as it turns out it's much hotter in Michigan right now. We're supposed to have some low 90s over the next few days, but then my folks and I are leaving to head back on Thursday morning.

This time, my parents and I left Grand Rapids on the 8th, drove partway to my cousin's place in Parkersburg on our first day, and then completed the trip to Cary, NC, the next day. My brother's family (Two adults and two young men, currently living here - my niece is in her own place) was already hosting a friend of one of my nephews, while he interns in the area. In addition, they took on my sister-in-law's folks, my parents, and me (as well as Archie). Bless them! Colleen's folks left yesterday morning, having enjoyed, and helped out a lot with, the open house on Saturday. They had another graduation to go to in Virginia yesterday. Then home to Syracuse, NY.

We made a side trip to Southern Pines, NC, where we had a lovely lunch at a place called Rhett's on the main street of the small town. My cousin, Julie, and her husband, John, reside there. My aunt and uncle, Marty & Dave, drove up Sunday evening from Columbia, SC, and spent the night with Julie and John so that we could all be together on Monday. Often, on these trips south with my folks, we'll spend a couple of days with Marty & Dave, but we didn't really have a chance this time, so I'm glad we got to see them.



Left to right: Marty, Julie, me, Dad (Harold), Mom (Carol), and Dave. John was taking the picture.

Tomorrow is Cooper's graduation ceremony. It's held at a big conference center in Raleigh, and apparently the center runs groups through, several per day, much the way the VanAndel arena does with GVSU graduations. In the evening, we get to see my other niece (this one's from Kalamazoo, but lives in Durham, NC) and her roommate/partner/boyfriend. 

I love being able to give my parents the gift of seeing geographically distant family, especially for special occasions. I doubt that my dad will make this trip again, but I'll still gladly bring my mom down for visits as we are both able. 

Before I leave you for today, I want to post some pictures of the finished paint job on my van. I put a clear coat on over the design, and I hope that it will stay. It will probably serve me to wash it by hand, rather than run it through an automated car wash. That's okay. I like it, and I'd like it to last. 








I arrive back in GR on the 16th, have a few appointments mid-week, and then I prepare to travel to Cortland and Cape Vincent, NY, for Abby's wedding. I should have lots of pictures to share with y'all after that.




No comments:

Post a Comment