Saturday, October 1, 2016

Another (short) road trip

Yesterday, I went off again, this time in my new vehicle (a Honda Odyssey van) and without Remy (who stayed in GR with Betsy -- thank you, Betsy!) and through Canada again. First hiccup: I brought my old passport and didn't realize it till I was in line to enter Canada. The Canadian guard, of course, was cool with the situation. I had the old passport and my driver's license. She let me in. I said, "What do you think will happen at the other side?" She shrugged. I said, "It will probably just take a long time, right?" She smiled. "Probably."

Second hiccup. I stopped at an "En Route" oasis in Canada for snacks and gas, two separate purchases. I got the snacks okay, but the gas pump wouldn't take my card. There was a sign on the pump saying that sometimes American cards didn't work, to pump the gas and come inside. I did. It didn't work inside, either. As much as i appreciate the credit card company keeping tabs on suspicious expenditures, it's kind of a pain when it happens to me on a trip. Anyway, I got it straightened out and went on my way.

When I came to the US border, I explained what had happened to the guard, and he was very gracious and helpful. I asked whether he thought I should return through the states. He said it was up to me, but there were some "jerks" in the staff, and I could get one of them, which would make the process more difficult returning. I think I'll probably go around the lake.

It's really nice being able to stay with Abby and see her more, even though she has to work quite a few hours. Last night, we watched part of I, Robot before we got sleepy and went to bed. We hung out a little this morning, before she had to go to work. Then I headed up to Cortland, bought three plastic containers and some DampRid to protect the music books and compositions I wanted to store at Adam's. Adam carried the boxes into the garage (which I really appreciated, since I had loaded them all in Grand Rapids), while I moved the paper stuff from cardboard boxes to plastic bins.

On a whim, I stopped at Adam's parents' place on my way back and had a cup of tea with his mom. That was great! We needed to touch base, to share our excitement, and to exchange information and ideas about the wedding.

I had lunch at the north location of the Ithaca Bakery, and then I spent the afternoon (and evening) at Abby's looking up wedding information. When Abby got home a little while ago, we went over more questions and thoughts about the planning -- a wedding is an inexhaustible source of conversation -- and now we're finishing I, Robot.

She has to work again tomorrow, and there's a great event celebration the opening of a completed bike and pedestrian trail, so I'll probably attend that, weather permitting. The Farmers Market is also open tomorrow, and I always enjoy the Ithaca market.

Abby and I plan to go into Syracuse for some wedding dress shopping on Monday, and I will leave Tuesday morning to return to GR.

Here are some pictures from the trip.


Seen today in Cortland. My friend, Allison Van Skiver, says she doesn't have any relatives around here, but we both thought this was interesting.


A study in perspective.


Abby and Eloise ignoring each other.


Like a Grant Wood painting, Adam at the wedding site on the St. Lawrence River.


Birthday girl (September 27), taken by Adam.


Enjoyed on my walks through Annie's old neighborhood.


These, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment