Saturday, October 29, 2016

Pre-Halloween

It's really fascinating how a different part of the country elicits a different sense of spirit. There's something about this area, like New Orleans, that makes ghosts and spirits believable. Perhaps it's partly the ghostly trees left standing with their whitened branches reaching out. Perhaps it's the mists that come up from the bayous (although it's pretty dry here right now). Perhaps it's the gut-level knowing that the moisture and humidity turn dead things quickly back into living things, by encouraging the growth of other living things.

Whatever the reason, there's a sensual creepiness as Halloween approaches.

I've looked on line. There are a few family Halloween activities in Bay St Louis, but lots in NOLA. I'd be up for taking my/our first trip to NOLA on Monday to check it all out. But it might be kind of a zoo. Also, while my valkyrie costume is usually more than appropriate for this time of year, it may be a tad uncomfortably warm for Mississippi and Louisiana at the moment. It's unseasonably warm and dry here.

It's another gorgeous day. I've listened live on the computer to Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me! from Michigan Radio, had my breakfast and coffee, and let Remy out in the backyard to do his thing. It's 10:19 Central Time, and I need to get motivated to do something today. Perhaps one thing would be to check out the third florist I found to see whether they're any busier than the other two. If not, I may have look into Gulfport or Slidell, or even NOLA. I did discover some more liberal churches in NOLA. Might check one of them out sometime soon. There really isn't anything in Bay St Louis that appeals to me. The closest would be United Methodist, but just because I grew up with it doesn't mean it speaks to me anymore. The main churches around here are Catholic, Baptist, and Methodist. I saw one Episcopal church, and there's one on our street that's C.O.G.I.C. (which I think means Church of God in Christ).

I do like writing, and that's something I could do every day; but I always did better at this when I had a specific assignment. When everything is open, I get stuck pretty easily. In fact, I even enjoyed researching to write papers, as long as I knew where I was headed with the information.

I've been trying not to buy too much stuff, and thinking about how it all gets repacked when I pick up an item. I may end up with some things on the top of the van when I head back north in the spring. Now that I've purchased a futon mattress I really like, I don't want to sell it here and buy another at my next destination. I want to figure out how to carry it along. The metal cabinet I brought from Michigan has been very useful. It's kind of a kitchen cabinet, but I'm keeping clothes in it in lieu of a dresser. Haven't decided yet whether the card table and chairs I ordered will end up in my room or in the main part of the house. I certainly have room for it in here, and it would give me a work space. We'll see.

I think Rick and i are getting a little more comfortable with the way the other does things. And of course I've spent some time letting go of his critical comments and recognizing that they are more a reflection of him than of me. This is, of course, always the case with people; but if we're oversensitive we take things personally.

I continue to practice Duolingo Spanish, and some guitar scales and chords (mostly getting my fingers used to is again) daily. Remy seems happy here. He likes being able to spend so much time with me in a more relaxed fashion, not moving from place to place every day or two, as we were doing most of the summer.

The summer's adventures were so filled with people I love and enjoy that I'm feeling a little deprived at the moment. I asked Rick what he's done for holidays in the past, when he wasn't living near family. When he lived in Sheridan, Wyoming, he adapted quickly and was invited by friends to join in their holiday celebrations. It's still possible that might happen here before Thanksgiving, but I find myself mapping the distance to Cary, NC, and places in Florida where I know people. And I'm looking ahead at the long-range weather forecasts to see whether driving to Michigan or New York at Christmas is a possibility.

as they say on Wait! Wait!, if any of these things happen, we'll tell you about it here ... Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment