Saturday, November 5, 2016

Meet-up #1

The weather is still very summery (at least in my Michigan opinion). It was 85 degrees today. A radio host said that we might feel some "fall-like temperatures" over the next few days. I've looked at the forecast. Highs in the 70's. I guess that's "fall-like" here.

I got up and dressed at a decent hour today. I was out of the house, showered and dressed for the day, before 10:00, walking Remy around the neighborhood. I was looking forward to going into New Orleans, not as a tourist, but to meet some new people for the "Read-Aloud Meet-up" at Cafe Luna.

It's about a 50-minute drive to New Orleans from Bay St Louis. I left around noon for a 2:00 meeting, figuring I'd get there early, have time to walk Remy around and possibly sit and read for a bit before the others arrived. The best laid plans ... there was an accident along the way on Hwy 10, and it took me about an hour to go 3 miles. After that, things opened up again, and I was only about 15 minutes late to the meeting.

Katy, the organizer, brought a story by John Cheever called "Brimmer," and a poem that a student of hers had had published recently in the New Yorker. The others had already read the poem before I got there, but we chatted a bit before launching into the story, and I had a chance to get some iced tea and a salad. It was fun, except for the part about being on the highway for such a long time, although I didn't mind that at the time. I had a good NPR station to listen to, and Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me was on during most of the drive.

After the meeting, I headed for a Petsmart, hoping to find raw, frozen dog food. What I discovered is that Freshpet now has a new line of refrigerated dog food, the contents of which are better than the original, but the fact that it's refrigerated and not frozen makes it less practical, as it won't last as long or travel as efficiently. I'm going to keep looking around for Nature's Variety, the kind that I got in Michigan. It should be available nationally, but it's a matter of finding someplace here that thinks that's the best thing to carry.

From Petsmart, Remy and I went on to find Trader Joe's. I'd really like to shop there again sometime when it's not Saturday afternoon. It was so crazy busy that I didn't really get a chance to look for everything I wanted. Plus, I was juggling Remy's leash and the groceries I wanted to buy amidst the feet of many, many shoppers, including children who wanted to pet the doggie -- not a good idea. "No, I'm sorry. He's working. Thank you for asking."

Rick went to visit a nearby brewery in Kiln, MS, this afternoon. Sounded like he had a good time. When he got back, he spent nearly an hour getting the meat out of a bunch of blue crabs that a neighbor brought us. He had about 2 cups of crabmeat in a bowl on the counter when I got back and was trying to decide what to do with it. I had picked up some salad greens, so I added the crab, sun-dried tomato, black olives, and a paleo/organic ranch dressing that I just got from Thrive. Yummy! I was going to have a glass of wine, as well, but we don't have a corkscrew, so St Croix it is for tonight.

It was nice to get out and go someplace today. Remy and I discussed traveling out further from Bay St Louis in future days. He's up for whatever I decide, of course. I have several friends along the Gulf Coast of Florida, so I think I'll look into driving over that way sometime in the near future. I'm now thinking about heading to GR for Thanksgiving and NY State for Christmas, depending on what my girls decide to do for Christmas. If I go to GR for Thanksgiving, I can hear the Chamber Choir concert, which I would really enjoy. If I do go, I will probably leave here after church on the 20th, take two days to get to GR, spend Monday through Friday (maybe Saturday) nights there, and then drive back. What's the point of having a "home base" if you can't venture out from there from time to time?

Honestly, I'm a bit antsy. I really loved going from place to place, visiting family and friends; but I didn't want to have to continually depend on people to give me a free place to stay. If I can resolve that, off I'll go again. For now, though, I'm looking at being here through the middle of April, back in GR through most of May, depending on what Abby needs from me, and then in NY most of June to help prepare for the wedding. I've already let Julie Powell know that I'm available for Sessions II and III of Blue Lake's dance program 2017, so I'll hang around GR while I do that and then head out someplace again.

Long-range plans? Maybe. Call them long-range imaginings. Anything could change tomorrow or next month or next year that will be cause for adjustment. I go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment