Tuesday, November 29, 2016

What I've learned in the past two weeks

Here I am, back in Bay St Louis. Now I know more or less what to expect from the area, so I have had a chance to think about how I will/want to spend my winter. I still haven't heard anything back from the school system, and as a volunteer I feel I've done more than enough to try to make this happen; so that's probably out. I'm excited about the opportunity to speak at the North Shore Unitarian Church in Lacombe, LA. Researching and writing those sermons will give me a way to use my brain and deadlines to keep me on track.

But before I left I was doing a lot of sitting around not doing much. I don't want to be that person. Fact is, I have loads of "free" time. What have I always wished I had time for? Oh, yeah. Learning a second language. So I'll keep working on my Spanish with Duolingo and maybe I can find a MeetUp group that practices speaking Spanish together. That would be cool. I suppose I could start one, if I don't find one.

And I've often bemoaned the fact that I didn't have the time or the cooperative weather to exercise outdoors every day. It's going to take some discipline, but this is how I'm sort of thinking my average morning will go:

Feed Remy
Let Remy out in the backyard
Get dressed for exercise
Stretch
Do chi gung warm-ups
Take a bike ride - 20 miles most days, at least 50 miles once a week
If air/water are warm enough, swim
Go home and get cleaned up
Eat breakfast
Take Remy for a walk

After that, which will probably only take a couple of hours, I can settle in to do some reading, studying, or other brain work.

I hope I'll have activities inside and outside of the Bay St Louis area to keep me busy, as well. I enjoyed the "Read-Aloud" group that met in New Orleans a few weeks ago. They meet every other Saturday. I was admitted to a "Voice Actors" MeetUp that also meets in NO. It sounds as though their meetings are professional and often have a cost associated with them, so it may not be a regular thing, but I am going to at least give it a try.

If Adam Mellema ends up shooting his pilot in New Orleans, I want to look in on how that all works. He said he might put me to work, and I'd be up for that, but also perfectly happy to let the pros work and just watch.

The main thing is to get moving. I've gained at least 10 (maybe more) pounds since I "settled" in Grand Rapids in the late summer, and it doesn't feel good. I remember my mother saying to me maaannyyy years ago, when I was a (miserable) student at WMU, "You know, we've noticed that you're a lot happier and easier to get along with when you get some regular exercise." That was 1973, but it's still true!

At this point, I'm planning to stay here for Christmas, or at least not drive to Michigan; but I do love being on the road. I am manifesting significant amounts of money so that I can travel more, even outside of the country. My job is to teach people how to love each other. Yeah. Let's do that!



Sunset in Mississippi.

1 comment:

  1. It is so good to read your writing and remember that "Yes. You can have the life you create for yourself." I think of you often friend and I can't wait to see you again.

    Much Love, Light and Peace - Joseph

    ReplyDelete