Friday, March 4, 2016

Another week has passed, and I admit to barely making it to the Y (although I did have a street ride of about 8.5 miles last weekend before the next round of heavy snow came in). All of this preparation to sell the house is like having another job! But I am not terribly concerned. I have just under 2 months to go in my preparations, and long-range weather models predict a warm, if rainy, pattern; so I plan to be out on the road a lot in the coming weeks. A friend of a friend who has done bike touring for many years said that, when I can ride 55 miles 3 days in a row, I'll be ready.That said, I'm trying to plan some weekends when I can do precisely that. I hope to arrange to ride to my brother's in Kalamazoo, stay over, ride back to Grand Rapids the next day, and then do some kind of loop the following day.

I will, of course, be taking Remy, my dog, who will be accompanying me on the Grand Rapids to Seattle journey. He has done some riding in his basket, but not more than 22 miles to date. I need to see how he will do with the longer days. One of my roommates said that, when I'm gone during the day, all he does is sit on the couch and wait for me to come home, so I hope that bodes well for hours of sitting in the basket.

Another development since last I wrote: a friend is seriously considering driving SAG for me! He would drive my car so that, at the end of the trip, I could send him back to Michigan or on to Denver (he's not sure at this point), and I would have my car to use or to trade in for a Class B motor home when I arrive in Seattle. Having SAG means that I could be better equipped without having to carry more weight. It means that we could take a cooler, so we could shop for really good quality food along the way and not have to eat whatever is available in each passing town. And it means that there is always someone within 60 miles who can help if there's an injury to bike or rider that can't be repaired on the spot. It also means that people who love me will feel a little more comfortable knowing that Remy and I will not be completely alone crossing the northern prairies and mountains.

For the first time in many years, I find my mind filled with "things I gotta do" when I'm trying to fall asleep at night. The first showing of my house is tomorrow, and there is still much to be done to take care of "stuff" that remains, and to clean blinds and floors, etc. I have a couple of hours this afternoon and two roommates who say they'll help. Once the showings start, I have to figure out what to do with Remy at the times of the showings. He is not often welcoming to anyone new, or even to some people he knows. As for the cat, she's just going to have to be here. I really do need to find a home for her, though, if you know of anything.

The house is emptying, and the dog's barks echo, especially in the kitchen. Last night, I took my rain stick to someone who was purchasing it from me. I visited with a number of people I don't see often, but whose faces I cherish, and I thought as so many have over the generations, "Will I see these people again?" So, some of the hustle and bustle of preparing is now tempered with nostalgia. But here's the mantra that hums in my soul: Do I want to be the woman who succumbs to her doubts and holds back, or do I want to be the woman who has an adventure? The answer is always the same.

1 comment:

  1. It will be great to follow along on your adventure. You will feel alive in ways you don't know about - daily! I will be sending positive vibes to you throughout. Call on me if you get stuck.

    ReplyDelete