Friday, March 11, 2016

I guess this is becoming a once-a-week-on-Friday blog, at least for the time being. I suppose, when I'm on the road, I'll have more to tell you more often.

Preparing for showings of the house has been a challenge. When I see how the place looks now, it's no wonder the people who saw it last week thought it looked like "too much work." But it's a little weird living here without family pictures on the walls, to say nothing of the dearth of furniture. It's hard to find places to put things I'm still using, and even harder to remember where I've stashed things. Every time I leave the house before a showing, I feel a bit panicky, as though I've forgotten something important ... did I remember to move that bag of trash to the basement? Did I hang up the clothes that were lying on the bed? Did I put the tattered towel away and replace it with a nice-looking one? And then I remember how grubby and messy the place still looked when the first people went through, and I try to let go of the "did I" questions.

There's someone (maybe more than one someone) who will see the beauty, and the value, and the potential in this house and its superb location; and I have confidence in the outcome.

What hit me today, though, was the very reality of the fact that I'm making myself homeless. I blogged on my Sacred Space site a while back about the definition of "home," wondering what it will mean for Remy, particularly, when there is no specific place to return to after a walk. Now, I see that Remy is probably not the one who will feel that sense of placelessness. His place is with me. For him, home is wherever I am. But what about me?

Some of my wonderful Facebook friends have promised me that, as long as I am loved -- and I am, I will never be homeless. And I know this to be true. Perhaps the journey ahead will help me feel in my body and soul what I know now mostly in concept: that the world is my home, that I belong where I am, wherever that is. I'm quite sure, as the ride progresses, that I will have days of believing this deeply, and days of doubting it. I am also sure that I will grow daily in my understanding.

This evening was one of those difficult times, but with the encouraging words of friends, the anxious moments have passed. One of my very wise daughters, Alice, recommended to me recently a list of five things to make sure I include in my life on a daily basis. They are: nutrition, exercise, inspiration, socializing, and reflection. I suspect the days ahead will be weighted toward reflection and exercise, and light on socializing, but I will try to mind her advice, for I see great value in it. In fact, I believe now is the time to begin a daily morning reflection during which I will remember the five things to include now and in the future. Thanks, Alice!

No comments:

Post a Comment