Friday, March 25, 2016

Preparations roll on ...

For all those who have been concerned about my undertaking this journey alone, never fear. On Monday, I announced to the ballet class at GVSU that I was looking for someone who would like to drive veeerrrryy slowly to Seattle over the months of May and June. I told the students that I would pay for lodging, 2 meals a day, and for the person to return to GR or go wherever s/he wanted to in the continental US once the trip was completed. One student came up and recommended another, not currently in that class. I contacted her, and the synchronicity couldn't be more perfect. Tayler Tucker is graduating at the end of April. She has had plans to move to Seattle, but she didn't know exactly when or how. She'll take some well-earned time off from the day to day hassles of life, drive SAG for me, and then stay in Seattle when we arrive. And my friends and family will rest easier, knowing that there is someone within 60 miles of me who can come and help if needed.

The other issue, of course, has been selling my house. My realtor convinced me to drop the price from $118,900 to $109,900 after almost 3 weeks with many showings but no bites. A few days ago, as I sat on the back steps waiting for Remy to pee in the backyard, a neighborhood couple, who had looked at the house when it was still For Sale by Owner, came strolling up the alley. They said they were still interested in the house and asked to come inside. I showed them around again, and we talked about what kinds of renovations would make it work better for them. They returned the next day with their realtor and renovator, and yesterday I got an offer from them. It was quite a bit lower than what I was asking, so I countered, and they have accepted my counter-offer! There is still a ways to go -- inspections, assessment/appraisal, etc, and then paperwork -- but I feel they are the ones who belong in this house. I like it that they have been living in an apartment in the neighborhood and so know the value of living in Midtown. And if they can do all the changes they're talking about, and the home values in the area keep going up, they're going to end up with something really great!

I told a friend yesterday that I would have to be out at close, but I didn't think it was a problem. My realtor told me I'd  have about four days' notice of when the closing was going to be. Yes, I can get the rest of what's hear taken care of in four days. There's just not much furniture left, and by the time I take Abby's tubs of memorabilia to her, there won't be a lot left. And some of the items that are still here are spoken for.

Every now and then, usually when returning from a dog walk and seeing the house across the park, I wonder how it will feel not to be home at this house anymore. It would be easy to grab onto that feeling and say, "I've changed my mind. I'm staying." I still have work here. I have many friends and a great alternative health system here. But it's time to go, at least for a while. I know this. I have known it and resisted it for some time.

I make new lists every day, it seems. I have lists of things I still have to do, like cancel services and talk to the County Clerk about how/where I will vote in November if I don't have an address. I need to talk with someone about what to do with the proceeds from the house. And I have lists of things to go to Abby, things to go to Annie, what I  need to take with me in the car, and what I need to carry on the bike.

Now, I need to ride. Every day. More and more every day. It's still a challenge between working and weather, but now that the house is essentially sold, I don't have to spend as much time worrying about eliminating every little speck of dust. And the weather is improving, so the thought of spending an afternoon out in the air is much more appealing. In fact, I hope to ride to a 9:00 a.m. rehearsal in Jenison tomorrow. It's about 15 miles, so I'll have to leave by 7:15, just to play it safe. On some weekend soon I hope to ride to Kalamazoo on a Saturday and back on Sunday, and then take a long afternoon ride on Monday, just to see how my stamina is for consecutive days of riding. One weekend, I will drive to Ithaca, though, so that will mean very little riding that weekend.

I figure even if I don't get as much training in as I hope, I can "train" on the beginning of the journey. There are no deadlines. If I can only go 30 or 40 miles per day in the beginning and then ramp up, that's the way of it.

I sit in some of my work situations with my mind far away on the road, anxious to be away from the same ol' same ol'. In other places, I'm still happy to interact with my colleagues. Every change is like this -- I've never known a situation of major change where I wasn't pulled in two directions. But I still know, very clearly, that this is what I must do. As I've told my children (and other people's children), there are very few choices one makes in life that cannot be reversed. I can always come back. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment