Friday, April 22, 2016

One week left!

You know that feeling that you've forgotten something? I get that a lot lately, especially as I packed up and prepared to visit Abby this weekend. It was pretty simple: make sure all of her tubs and boxes were loaded in the car in time to take Remy to his sitters' for the weekend and get to school on time. But I still had to pack my own bag, for only two nights this should be easy, right? And I guess it was, but I still had that lingering feeling I'd forgotten something.

I think maybe this forgetting feeling is based on the fact that, while I've carefully culled my possessions and saved the things that I think are important, I don't really know where things are. Yes, they're all in tubs and boxes at Annie's house or, in some cases, at my house; but where exactly? A good example is the stamps. Somewhere, I have a roll of forever stamps, but the last three things I've had to mail, I've had to either take to the post office for postage or borrow some from someone. And I have to sharpen pencils in the choir room at GVSU, because I got rid of my pencil sharpeners.

Once I'm on the road, I won't need a roll of stamps or a pencil sharpener, but I may have been a little hasty about sending everything on its way.

Friends are contacting me, scheduling meals and meetings, asking about seeing me off in Grand Rapids, or at the ferry in Muskegon. I realize that this is partly a way to experience part of the adventure with me, and also their desire to let me know that they care, thus taking a little bit of each one of them with me when I go -- as if I could leave them behind!

All this moving of furniture and possessions has been a bit bewildering for Remy, I think. Still, he knows I'm still there, and I haven't moved him, so he's okay with it. I'm not sure how he feels about being dropped off with Chris and Jackie and the boys for the weekend, but a photo from Chris shows him looking pretty comfy. He's really the biggest question in this whole plan. Theatre people warn about sharing the stage with animals and children because of their unpredictability, and I'd say that holds true here, as well.

I did get a little riding in this week. I rode about 18 miles on Monday, and about 32 on Tuesday. I had a great ride out to GVSU Tuesday morning, with a 13 mph tailwind. The trip back was a bit more challenging, though, after sitting for about 3 hours and then riding into the wind. I had some left hip pain for a couple of days -- nothing serious, just sore muscles -- but I think the lesson learned is to shift down even further. Lake Michigan Drive has some pretty daunting hills, especially with a  headwind, and I think I tried to take them too fast.

Anyway, it's Friday, and the hip feels fine. I hope to get some serious riding in tomorrow around Ithaca, after Abby goes to work. I brought my maps along to show Armin, one of my favorite bicycling fanatics, who lives in Ithaca. I will get his advice and feedback about my plans, as well.

I feel as though the next week will tumble by so quickly. It's supposed to be rainy next Sunday, but I have rain gear. I'm going. Yes, I'm going. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment