Sunday, August 14, 2016

Back in Ithaca

For those of you who have been following faithfully, I apologize for days away. As I continue this journey, I find that the details of my day-to-day travels don't seem as relevant, and I've also found myself in places without WiFi for days at a time, so I've foregone the daily writing.

I dropped my parents off in Grand Rapids late on Friday afternoon. I got to the car rental place just after 6:00 and returned to Maple Creek (where my folks live) to put the bike on my car. I then drove the hour out to Whitehall and picked up Remy about 8:00 p.m. Since I wanted to be in Ithaca as early as possible the next day, I decided to head straight out, so I didn't even stop off in Grand Rapids to pick up a couple of things I'd left at Annie's house. I drove off on I-96 toward Lansing, took 69 south to 94, then to 23 and south to the 80/90 toll corridor.

This is where my particular form of OCD kicks in. It was late. I was sort of tired, but I wanted to put some miles behind me, too. So I kept looking forward: I'll just get to 94 and then I'll look for a hotel; Once I get on 23 I'll look for a hotel; I'll get on the toll road and then stop at an oasis and sleep for a few hours (which I did -- 2 hours between Toledo and Cleveland). Once I got off the toll road, I was feeling quite tired, so I started looking for a hotel in earnest. Guess what! It was Friday night, and they were all booked up. So I slept another hour and a half in a gas station parking lot, overlooking the semis.

I found a decent place for breakfast and continued on I-86 across New York state toward Ithaca. On the way, I noticed a crossroad called Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz Boulevard, and I wondered whether that was the location of the Lucy sculpture I'd recently heard about. I found out later that yes, it is; so I plan to stop there on the way back to Michigan and see it.

I arrived in Ithaca about 2:45 in the afternoon and purchased a few food items at Green Star Co-op. I heard from my friend Chris. She and some friends had just ordered at the Moosewood Restaurant, but I wanted to get to Verizon and increase the data on my plan, so I told her I'd meet up with them later. The Verizon stop didn't take long, so I made a short side trip to have a closer look at a van I'd seen for sale on my way into town. I took some pictures -- will post later, left my phone attachment in the car. Then, I headed out to go up hwy 34 to Scipio Center where the birthday party was happening. I had just reached the northern edge of Ithaca when I heard from Chris again. They were all heading to Tremain Park to go swimming. I turned around and headed back, stopping at Chipotle for lunch.

I arrived just in time for the life guards to close the swimming area because of thunder. I got my suit on anyway, and when the rain came we sat in the downpour and enjoyed the coolness.

The incredible farmhouse where the party was being held was very period with lots of antiques and perfect decorating. Also true to the period -- no AC. The rooms were hot and still. Outside was marginally better, but it improved a lot after a major storm went through. Unfortunately, it made folk dancing in the driveway kind of difficult. The food was under a tent, but the people mostly went inside and to the front porch when the rain came. We'd all just started going back to our outdoor pursuits when another storm came through. The remnants of the party continued on the front porch, but not too late.

Luckily, once the front door stood open for a bit the bedroom Chris and I were using cooled down adequately. I slept on the floor on an air mattress, a significant distance from her, holding onto Remy's leash all night so he wouldn't get it in his  head to attack her feet if she got up to go to the bathroom. He made several dives at people's feet while we were sitting on the porch last night. He actually hurt Chris, who wasn't wearing shoes at the time. I'm so discouraged about this antisocial dog. I think it's time to get a truck, get the truck camper from the Petersons (if it is, indeed, available as indicated), and have a "home" for me and especially for Remy.

This morning, we packed up and drove into Ithaca for breakfast. I left a pair of earrings, so sometime in the next few days I'll have to drive back to Scipio Center. The weather continues to be "iffy," quite variable: from high humidity and sunshine to pop-up extreme thunderstorms. Chris and I have decided that it's not the best situation for camping, so we are reserving a room at an inexpensive hotel in Cortland and will head out there to get settled shortly.

We'll stay in the area till Wednesday morning. She has some things on her agenda for Thursday in Grand Rapids, so she won't stay beyond that point. I might. We'll see.

I told her today that I'm planning to stay in GR through her surgery on September 27, and she was very happy. I'm happy that I can help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment