Monday, August 22, 2016

staying in GR for a bit

Here I am, staying at Annie's in Grand Rapids. Do I miss having my own home? Maybe a little, but not very much. When the tornado went through on Saturday, I was glad I didn't have to worry about home damage and cleanup. As I walked Remy this morning, I saw a plant in someone's yard that caught my eye. In the past, I would have tried to find out what it was and plant it on the hill. This time, I smiled at how pretty it was, as I passed by.

I've been considering (pretty seriously) getting a 6-cylinder truck, since Betsy offered me the Peterson truck camper. It feels like the right thing to do. Since I still don't know for sure where I'll end up, the idea of having portable shelter is very appealing. I need to get up to Glen Arbor and talk to Elsie about it, as well as find out from Jon what kind of shape the camper is in and what I need to do to keep it going.

I'll make some appointments today for mammogram, colonoscopy (screening tests I missed in the spring), and teeth cleaning. After that, I'll know when and for how long I can go up north. I'm really looking forward to being in Glen Arbor. The Reservation is one of my favorite places on Earth.

It's also possible (still waiting to hear) that I'll spend some time living with my friend Kate, who has had surgery and an infection and could use some assistance. Whether I stay at Annie's or go to Kate's, I'm looking forward to writing more words and music, getting my keyboard set up, and spending some time learning to play guitar better. Annie and I looked at Gracias a la Vida together on YouTube the other day. It's a song I've long been drawn to, and I've always imagined singing it with Annie.

My awareness is growing of simply doing the next thing, not putting things off or ignoring impulses. This is the only way to live in joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment