Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Returning again to W Michigan

I had breakfast with Abby at Steve & Lu's and then hit the road for Michigan -- well, I stopped off at Green Star Co-op one more time, but then I was on the road. The weather was gorgeous, and I didn't even have to run the AC the whole day. Remy was very cooperative, and we only stopped a few times. The journey in pictures is below.


I hope you can magnify this and the next two. On this one, an example of the signs in one county where place names are presented in English and Seneca language.


One of the spellings of Allegany/Allegheny. The former seems to be used for counties, state parks, etc., while the latter is for bodies of water -- river, reservoir.



Here is the reservoir, second spelling, and Seneca translation which looks like "Ohio."


Lucille Ball Park, Celoron, NY, "Angry Lucy" with her bottle of Vitameatavegemin.


Close up of "Angry Lucy." This statue was moved to a place of lesser prominence when the following statue replaced it recently.


Remy posed with Lucy. He was so cute that other tourists who didn't know him wanted to take his picture.


One of those other tourists was kind enough to take a picture of the two of us. That bronze plinth was hot!


One nice thing about the very slow-going traverse through Cleveland was that I was near the lake and caught occasional glimpses of it. I had gone along the lakeshore because I was looking for a specific restaurant, but traffic everywhere was so backed up that I just kept going till I got out of Cleveland. Found a great place called Wood and Wine 15 miles or so west of Cleveland, before I-80.


After dinner, watching the storm approach with some apprehension.


A "ray" of hope -- do you see the small area of light in the distance, right over the road?


I'm getting under the clouds, but the area of light is growing larger, and the road goes right into it.


Off to the right, I can see the downpours in several places.


Zeroing in on the light. No rain yet.


A few raindrops just starting.


Raining hard enough for wipers beyond intermittent. Behind me, there must have been a beautiful rainbow.


Stormy conditions sometimes make for beautiful sunsets.


And there it goes.

This is still Ohio. Remy and I continued on to around Lansing before getting a room. I know, why not go all the way to GR? Because I didn't have anyone expecting me tonight, and it was getting too late to call someone for a bed. BEsides, I was getting tired. 


Speaking of tired, this guy was parked so far from the front of the parking spot that I had to take a picture. Made me smile.

I had a memory, as I often do when driving west on 96 from 23, of the time over 30 years ago when Chuck and I rode back from Ann Arbor on his motorcycle and stopped at the rest area east of Lansing because it was raining, and the rain felt like needles on our skin.

I sometimes wish I could record the stream of consciousness that occurs while I'm driving. Out of all the thoughts I had today, the following seemed worth mentioning. When we value something, we are attached to it. Many times, our values define us so we are deeply invested in them. When someone else shares the things we value, we value them. When a person does not, we tend to dismiss them at best, hate them at worst. It's largely about attachment. When we see ourselves as one, the differences don't matter. 

I haven't yet figured out how we live together as human beings without values. Maybe valuing things is still an important part of our egoic existence, but attachment to them is how we become one.






No comments:

Post a Comment