Monday, August 8, 2016

The spirit of the bicyclist

I thought I'd lost it. I really did. I lost confidence when the "ride to Seattle" bombed out. I became fearful of the narrow shoulders and passing semis, and I doubted my ability to travel long distances. This became enough of a problem that I didn't look forward to riding for a while.

Then I came to Cary where I have a "home base" to go from and return to, and where bike riding is encouraged by the profusion of beautiful paved trails and the patience and encouragement of drivers. I have ridden on the road here, but I haven't had to very much because even where roads are painted with the bicycle symbol, there are adequate paved sidewalks and trails alongside the road. The weather is hot and humid, so I've been going out fairly early in the morning. Yesterday, I rode about 10 miles, partly trail and partly sidewalk and road. Today, I went closer to 13. Tomorrow, if I get up early enough, I'd like to do at least 20.

And it feels so good. How could I ever consider giving up something that gives me so much joy and physical satisfaction?

The rest of the day involved some errands, some relaxation and Olympics viewing, and food preparation for the gathering of the clan this evening. The core group (me and my folks, my brother, sister-in-law and two nephews) that has been staying at the house was joined by my niece from the same family, and my other brother's daughter and her boyfriend, who live together in Durham, 10 of us in all!


L to R, my brother Bill, nephew Keaton, and sister-in-law Colleen enjoying an animated anecdote. (Dad's hand in the foreground.)


Niece Torri, nephew Cooper, and Bill once again.


Bill and Colleen preparing the "zoodles." It seems this machine produces one, extremely long, zoodle.

Much enjoyable conversation and food was had by all, as we became reacquainted with our loved ones whose lives continue out of our daily experience. Most of us of a certain age have realized that, while we hold those who are far away in our hearts and long for tidbits of information about their lives, we only know love firsthand when we can have shared experiences. I am grateful for the shared experience of this trip and this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment