Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Addendum

Sometimes I get so busy relating events that I forget to mention my musings about them.

Yesterday's visit to Graceland elicited some interesting emotions in me. I was almost 22 when Elvis died. His presence in my youth was concrete. And yet, his major popularity was with the generation preceding me. My parents didn't care about him, especially. They were (and still are) the generation of Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, and Tony Bennett (whom I also like, by the way). But as I walked through the rooms, listened to his music on the headphones, and thought about him, I missed him. I missed his generosity, as well as his music. Of course, the narrative at Graceland says nothing of his weight gain, unhealthy habits, and drug use. No mention is made of how he died, just the date when he did. And that is to be expected. Graceland is a shrine. But after almost 40 years, it doesn't really matter how he died or what his later years were like. Elvis's star still shines with the brightness of a man who was humble in the midst of stunning popularity, and who helped other people absolutely whenever he could. I'm really glad I went to Graceland.

7/10 driving notes:

I recommend today's On Being with Krista Tippit and guest, Elizabeth Gilbert, talking about curiosity (and other things).

The yield sign was first used on a trial basis in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

After listening to krista Tippit and Elizabeth Gilbert, I realize that I am curious about a number of things, in particular the history of non-Caucasians in this country. (I know the history of Europeans coming here, but not as much about the rest. "America is a melting pot ...") I have encountered many Hispanic people as i have traveled, and i am curious about when groups of them started to settle in this country. I also would like to know more about the numerous Native American tribes scattered throughout the country, how they were co-opted, and how they have managed the changes that Europeans brought to them, as well as how they currently manage their challenges and opportunities.

I like driving without a time goal in mind. It's easy to get out of other people's way, and not to take offense when people get in mine. I just slow down, smile, and let it go (cue music). Once in a while, I have to message someone and tell them that I'm running a little behind, but it always works out.

7/11
It would be fun to do a tattoo tour of the country, not parlors but people - When did you get your first tattoo? Why? Where? Do you have a favorite artist? Have you ever designed your own tattoo? How does that work? how many do you have now? How do you feel it defines you?

People drive significantly over the speed limit in Tennessee, for the most part, both on surface roads and on the highway.

****

I have gotten going yet, and it's 10:15. I did make breakfast at the Airbnb, even though these young bachelors have very little in the way of kitchen equipment. Better hop in the shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment