Friday, July 8, 2016

For me, Route 66 ends here.

Whew! Today was more like the kind of long distance driving I did prior to this trip -- pushing for miles. I decided I didn't really want to stay overnight in Amarillo, so I made the drive all the way from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City today. And for a change, I'm staying in a hotel for two nights. 

Remy and I started out the day at the Range Cafe, as recommended by Alice's roommate, Cassidy, who used to live in Albuquerque. I had an excellent omelette with sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, other veggies, and pesto. And they graciously brought me extra pesto. Yum!

Observations from the first part of the drive: there are a lot of big, ugly billboards in the first 30-40 miles east of Albuquerque. They lessened after that, except as I entered a new town or city. 

The following captioned pictures are from the road today.


There were several huge wind farms along the way, and deservedly so. This part of the prairie is just as amazingly windy as the Dakotas.


Suddenly, I smelled a really horrendous odor -- not manure. I don't mind manure. Filth. As I passed the semi, I looked to my right and saw thousands of cattle, packed into small corrals together. (above and below)



There were severe thunderstorm (golf ball-sized hail) warnings on the radio as I approached Oklahoma City. Fortunately for me, the worst of it seems to have gone south of where I was.


I was trying to photograph towers with flames coming out of the top. Since that didn't work, I'm glad I at least got the pretty sunset.

* As I left Albuquerque this morning, I saw a person on a fenced overpass, just sitting and watching the traffic. Suddenly, it is 1973, and I am a freshman at WMU, stting on the wide windowsill of my dorm room in Smith-Burnham, watching the traffic on Stadium Drive, and wishing I were going someplace interesting.

* I saw a sign for a "Staying in Business Sale." Sounds honest. I like it.

* Here's an idea: some sort of national, or even international, site for older artists/musicians/craftspeople called Not Too Digital. This would be a consortium of some kind, through which tech-savvy people could help these older artists to see their art and help them get up to speed on the digital technology. It would also be a place for buyers to look for quality art from seasoned artists.

* I saw my first Waffle House of the trip as I was driving to the hotel this evening.

I'm staying in Oklahoma City tomorrow. Gonna get an oil change, get the tires rotated, get Remy's nails trimmed, do some laundry ... yeah, fun day. Looks like the weather will be pretty nice, so maybe we'll find a park or a non-mall shopping area.

No comments:

Post a Comment