Thursday, July 14, 2016

Murfreesboro - getting here

I'm staying with my friend, Rick Overholt, in Murfreesboro, TN. I got into town yesterday afternoon, and it's as hot and muggy here as it was in Memphis. Fortunately, his place is air conditioned -- it's hard to imagine living, or at least sleeping, without it in this part of the country. He's at work today, and he doesn't have WiFi at his house, so I'm at Starbucks nearby, catching up on stuff.

One of the things I needed to catch up on was a review for my last Airbnb in Memphis. As "hands off" as my host was, and despite the fact that the bedroom door didn't latch and the kitchen was somewhat lacking in equipment, I gave him a stellar review. Then I got to see mine. The first thing he averred was that I had not told him about Remy. So I went back through our correspondence, and there it was in my introductory email, telling him about the dog and asking whether it was okay to bring him into Anthony's house. Then he said that I told him that I didn't tell other Airbnb hosts that I was bringing the dog. Also untrue. I email every host, even if there's an instant book lightning bolt next to the listing. Hotels are required to admit a service dog, but it seems only reasonable to me for an Airbnb host to be able to refuse a canine guest.

He said that Remy 'bit" him. Those of you who know Remy know that he will, indeed, snap or nip. My hosts in Las Vegas will tell you, though, that if you don't jump and pull away, he is absolutely not biting but warning. Anyway, when I apologized and explained to Anthony, he reassured me, so I didn't worry about it, knowing it was unlikely to happen again.

Remy did, indeed, poop on a small rug the morning we were leaving. I was horrified, but realized that he was having some sort of stomach issue or it wouldn't have happened. I immediately asked for the cleaning supplies and did a thorough job of cleaning the rug. Anthony was gone by then, or we could have discussed whether he would have preferred me to replace the rug -- something I would have been happy to do.

I'm trying to let go of this. I read all the other, stellar reviews from the other hosts I stayed with, and I hope other Airbnb hosts will, as well. I also replied to Anthony's review, and I sent him a message asking whether I could replace the rug. But I still feel that horrified feeling of having done something terribly wrong. Reason says this is not the case, but there's a very negative, very public review out there now, and I can't make it go away.

It makes me question Remy's presence in my life again. I struggle with this on an almost daily basis. Because of Remy, I can't go on to visit family in North and South Carolina without first taking him back to GR and paying to board him or finding him some kind soul who will watch him for 10 days. Because of Remy, I can't go deep into any National Parks. I have to warn everyone who meets him that he is "not very friendly." Some people are completely understanding. In fact, I've had quite a number who say, "I have a dog like that." Others are terribly disappointed and judgmental.

But when we adopt a pet, we adopt them with all of their past issues and personality quirks. Just like when we make a commitment to a human, spouse or child, we commit to "for better or worse." One thing that will make our lives a lot easier will be for me to have some sort of "home" for him where he can stay and know I'll return. I try to open to how this will be accomplished every day.

But back to the travelogue: I didn't eat lunch yesterday, and since Rick had suggested that I get some groceries before arriving at his house, I looked around Murfreesboro for an organic store. When I say I "looked," I mean that I forgot my policy about calling anything that comes up on Google and drove quite a few miles to discover that the two places that came up were no longer in business. And I ended up at -- I can't believe I'm saying this -- Walmart near Rick's house, buying mostly stuff that is not organic.


On the road into Murfreesboro, I saw this amusing sight. The mattress was strapped front and back, but apparently not quite tightly enough. It didn't look as though it was in danger of escaping, but most of the time sky was visible between it and the vehicle.

It was delightful to see Rick. We just hung out, ate (I had leftover pork roast and mashed potatoes made the night before by his roommate, Tim, and barbeque sauce created by his son, Neal), talked, and watched Castle and Major Crimes on TV. I went to bed fairly early, but I didn't go to sleep right away.

Rick is working today, so I'm on my own. I hope to explore Murfressboro a little. Rick recommended a hiking trail where Remy and I can have a walk. I also want to look for another pair of sandals, as I've been wearing the only pair I brought every day, and I'd like to give them an occasional break before I wear them out completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment