Saturday, July 16, 2016

The sultry south

Murfreesboro reeks of porch-sitting, slow-moving, sultry Southern summer. Why would anyone want to move quickly when the humidity is so thick I feel as though I'm swimming through the air. Those of you reading from Michigan know what I'm talking about, but here it's pretty much 24/7. We got a brief respite last night when we sat with others at a concert in the Cannonsburgh Park. There was a light, cool breeze, and the night was perfect.

The concert followed a relaxed day during which I hung out at Rick's place while he shuttled grandchildren around and stayed with them at their house. After noon, I went to meet them, and we all went swimming at the neighborhood's saltwater pool. I have heard more and more people talking about salt water instead of chlorine and bromine, but I hadn't had the chance to try it. I far prefer it. The salt isn't heavy enough to come out coated with it, as one does when swimming in the ocean, but it keeps the pool clean, and it's much more pleasant than chemicals to me.

Rick and I each cooked our own dinner and sat down to eat it together, and then we went to the concert. Afterward, we walked around downtown Murfreesboro, which seemed to be teeming with people walking, standing on corners, milling around the doorways of bars, but the bars all looked empty. A conundrum. Most people, whether in couples or groups, seemed to be looking down into screens whose lights were reflected in an eerie glow in their faces. It was surmised that many were probably playing Pokemon Go. But I could hear some relating FB posts to one another as they stood or walked. Even on a romantic dinner date, people take their entire FB list of friends with them.

We stopped for ice cream at Mars Popcorn and Frozen Treats. It looked as though the place might be just getting started, as they had several lists of things that were "coming soon." I had a single scoop of lemon sorbet, and Rick had a Heath bar ice cream. We sat outside to eat them, and the heat and humidity made it difficult for him to finish his cone before it deconstructed in his hand. I had mine in a bowl, which was much easier to handle. I could always drink the remains.

Here are some photos of the place where I'm staying in Murfreesboro. It's a good-sized house, with a a separate apartment on one end, which houses one tenant. The rest of the house is shared between Rick, the owner of the house, Bob, and his friend, Tim. Bob sleeps in his enormous motor home and just comes in to use the bathroom, for the most part. This is an interesting place. Tim has completely made friends with Remy (I know some of you will find that hard to believe!) by feeding him meat and not being at all intimidated by him. In fact, tonight Rick and I are going to see a production of Next to Normal, and Remy will stay at the house with Tim!


A view going out the driveway to the street.


View from the driveway end of the house toward the far end where my room is.


The "back yard", filled with vehicles and equipment, but still extremely spacious.

Rick is someone who has spent a lot of his life looking for, and finding, "unique experiences." He has traveled for many years the way I have been for the past couple of months. His family is here in Murfreesboro, so he is here for a while, but then some other place will call to him, and off he'll go. It's nice to be around someone who gets what I'm doing and why.


Downtown Murfreesboro, last night. 


The visual's not much. I hope you'll be able to experience the audio. The night singers here are a huge and crazy chorus. 

Tomorrow, I'm off to see Nancy Peterson in Johnson City, TN, for a day or two. Then, I'll head north. I'd like to see Falling Water in Pennsylvania, and I've been told there is a river that is great for swimming. I hope it's near there. I'll probably camp for a few days in Pennsylvania. I'm due in Ithaca on the 23rd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment