Saturday, July 2, 2016

Starting to like LA

Actually, there are things I've liked about LA ever since I got here. But now I'm starting to know my way around without having to have Siri talking to me every time I drive someplace. This evening, we took Lyft across town to a movie theatre, and it was quick and easy, and not terribly expensive. The man who drove us was personable and chatty and drove efficiently.

I still don't think I want to live in LA, but the possibility is no longer as unlikely as it once was.

I have enjoyed spending time with Alice's friends so much; but if I lived here I would have to acquire my own friends, obviously, one of whom would doubtless be Joan Weber, my Airbnb hostess. The possibilities are endless, and therefore a bit overwhelming.

Looking at the way Remy has been reacting lately, I feel more and more as though I need to provide him with a place where he can be secure sitting and waiting for me, rather than having to go everywhere I go. He happily slept through the movie we attended tonight -- more on the movie later. I feel as though he is less welcome here than he has been throughout the trip, even though his behavior is basically the same. When we've been alone, it's been easier to keep people away so that he doesn't feel threatened or threaten anyone else. Now that we're socializing so much, we come up against many people who either expect him to be friendly and are offended when he's not, or who simply get too close to him in a high energy situation and get "warned" away. I have recently come to realize that traveling with Remy is like being bound to a small, autistic child.

One friend recently commented that, if he were going to get a dog, he would prefer one who had its own hobbies. I agree. That would be desirable. When I got Remy, I didn't know I was taking on a special needs dog, and maybe I should have bailed right at the outset. But it would be cruel to try to find him another home now that he has bonded with me. Perhaps we can educate people to understand that all dogs are not the same, just as all people are not the same. Some are frightened and lash out if they feel threatened. They may not have a lot of friends, but sometimes one good friend is all an entity needs.

I saw a movie tonight that I likely would not have seen if I had not been in LA and with Alice and her friends. It's titled Swiss Army Man, and it stars Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe. I recommend that you see it. And I recommend that you go without expectations, and don't try to figure it out. My brain did the usual, trying to "understand" and to put what was happening into appropriate files for the first third to half of the movie. Then I finally dismissed the schoolteacher part of my brain and just allowed myself to take it in. Fortunately, at the ArcLight where we went, the film was followed by an interview with the filmmakers, which shed some light and was really interesting.

Let's see -- meals today: banana pancake at Joan's (with apricots), lunch at Lemonade, and supper at Tender Greens near the movie theatre. The young people went on to watch another movie at Jacob's place, I think, but it was clear that it was time for me to depart, so I came back to Joan's. Remy usually eats supper about 4:30 or 5:00, and tonight it was 11.

I'm really looking forward to visiting the Farmers Market and the Flea Market with Alice tomorrow and seeing Francesca in the evening. I hope I get to see Adam Mellema while I'm here, but I won't be here much longer.

I feel funny. Nervous. Anxious. I had some regular iced tea with my cucumber mint lemonade at late lunchtime. Maybe that's it. Maybe I'm apprehensive about moving on. This will be something to look at tomorrow, after a good night's sleep. Plans can be changed. The object of the trip is to follow an inner voice or sense. I will pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment