Thursday, June 2, 2016

2 days have passed!

I guess I'm no longer writing every day. Last night, I was so tired that I had a hot bath and went to sleep about 8:30 without telling you all about my day.

Dick and I went kayaking at Port Gamble. I have kayaked on rivers before -- mostly Crystal River in Glen Arbor -- but never on an ocean or lake. We took a two-seater (which Dick says some people don't even consider really kayaking) which was perfect for our purposes. I was able to simply paddle and look around, and Dick could steer us toward places of interest. We launched right off Port Gamble and swung around into the bay. About 2/3 of the way along, I mentioned that, while I wasn't really sore or ready to give up yet, I was starting to feel the work of paddling. We crossed the bay and headed back toward our starting spot. Once there, we sat on a log and ate our snack, and then loaded up and headed back.



Looking out in the direction we paddled.


Beautiful mountains in the background.

After Dick and I got back to the house, I changed my clothes, and Nancy and I went to The Suquamish Museum. They were having an anniversary celebration which included the showing of a couple of films about the history and experience of the Suquamish. The exhibits included a timeline of the life of the Suquamish, intricate weaving of baskets and clothing, and artifacts of early tribal life.

In the evening, after a wonderful dinner of shrimp that Dick and Sam had caught, prepared sparely with lemon and garlic and served with veggies, and a spinach salad, I looked over a book about the revitalization of the Elwha River. Its dams were removed over the past few years to allow salmon to return to their long-denied spawning ground. The campground I'm going to tomorrow is near the mouth of the Elwha River, so I wanted to read up. I hope to hike and bike around the area and see some other recommended sites/sights. 

The plan for today was a visit to Port Townsend. I had driven up last Sunday, of course, to hear Bruce Bode speak at Quimper Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, but at that time there was no time for socializing. Bruce and Flossie had graciously invited me for dinner this evening, so I left Kingston about 11:30 to take a leisurely drive and make stops along the way. Dick and Nancy had given me their atlas, and I saw an alternative route once I crossed the Hood Canal Bridge. That was Paradise Bay Road to Oak Bay Road, both of which ran along the water. Then I took Chimicum Road back to the original road (19) to find the Chimicum Corner Farmstand, an organic market, where I purchased some sauerkraut, grainless granola, and coconut water and cream. Then I drove on into Port Townsend, found a place to get Remy's nails trimmed, drove by Bruce and Flossie's place so I'd be able to find it later, and kinda just checked the place out.

At 3:00, I arrived at the Bode residence. Their cat, Willow, was outside in the backyard keeping an eye on a frog, so Remy and I were safe for the moment. We left in Flossie's car, and she took us to see the area. 


One of many ships being repaired or refurbished at the local shipyard, which is known for its excellent work and quick turnover. Ships come from as far as Alaska to be worked on here.


One of many, elegant, restored buildings in the downtown area.


Interior of one of the bedrooms at the Palace Hotel, originally a brothel near the waterfront in downtown Port Townsend.


Another elegant room at the Palace.


... and another ...


Some of the rooms are named after the women who worked there back in the day.


Sculpture/fountain at the base of the stairway that separated "uptown", where the rich elite lived in old Port Townsend, from "downtown" near the docks, where the riff-raff were found.



A bunker at Fort Worden.


View from Fort Worden.


And another.


From the top of the bunker.

Flossie and I returned to the house, where she prepared salmon, salad (some of the greens fresh from Bruce's garden), and potatoes for our evening meal. We had a great time catching up on our families and friends, and each other, of course, and even managed a fairly decent selfie!


I've rearranged the stuff in the car, and I think I'm ready for 3 nights of camping. If there's WiFi at the camp, you'll hear from me sooner. If not, it may be next Thursday before I get back to the blog, as I'll be following my camping trip with a trip to see Rob & Joanne & Mira & Rose on Vashon, and I don't know if they'll have WiFi for me. But I'll take pictures and notes so I can bring you all up to speed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment