Thursday, June 23, 2016

Erroneous blog title?

Yesterday, we headed out to finally (hopefully) have breakfast at Rosebuds Cafe, which had first been recommended by my host, Sean, upon my arrival. But no, not open. So we headed to the nearby community of Mokelumne Hill (called Moke Hill by the locals) to check out another recommended place. Should have called. Not open. So I asked a guy delivering ice cream to the grocery store next door. He recommended a place called Mel and Faye's Diner in Jackson. So back we went to Jackson and had a lovely meal.

After that, I stopped at a bike shop for two reasons: to get a new lock (!) and to ask where to ride in the area. The young man working at Jackson Family Sports was very friendly and helpful. I also asked about someplace to swim, as the temperature was predicted to be very high again. He lit up and told me about a place on the river that all the locals go to. He said that I could, additionally, ride my bike along the road leading to the swimming spot.

I was about to return to the Farm to get things I needed when I remembered that I had a bathing suit in the car. So off we went, south on highway 49 to Electra Road.


Electra Road

The pavement was so rough that I didn't even consider biking along it, with Remy in the cart, especially. And as I travelled along to the swimming spot, the curves and areas that were only one lane wide convinced me that my first impression was valid. 

Thus the title of this post -- I feel as though I'm letting down those of you who wanted to read about bicycling. And I miss riding. But the ways are strange, and many are dangerous, and I believe I'm making the best choices for me on a day-to-day basis. I hope to be able to access Map my Run, which shows me designated bike trails wherever I am, and take in a bit more riding in the coming week and a half, at least. I also hope to acquire another basket for Remy so that I can take him without the huge cart when we're going on a relatively short ride.

We actually didn't go all the way to the end of the road to swim. We came to a spot where two women had parked and were making their way down to the river, so we found a shady parking spot and followed their lead. There was an outhouse there, so it was a designated swimming place. I learned from the women that the end of the road place was already likely to be filled up. It was 10:30 a.m.

I ended up creating a shady spot for Remy, as the foliage around the spot was thick and low. There were shady trees further up the bank, away from the water, but that didn't help us much. The young man at the bicycle shop had said that dogs could run loose, but I thought it might be better to keep Remy close since the road was quite nearby.

We probably stayed for about an hour. I read, and Remy relaxed. It was hot -- probably mid 80's -- but I never submerged in the river for a couple of reasons. #1, it was COLD! And #2, I didn't know how fast the water would feel if I actually stepped into the deeper part, and since I was essentially alone I didn't want to take any chances. I did, however, step into the water at several points and splash the refreshing drops onto my body.


A shot of the river on our drive out.


When I decided I'd had enough direct sunlight for the day, we crept back along the bumpy road, forced to back up twice to let other vehicles pass, and turned back toward Jackson. I went to Baskin Robbins for ice cream -- why do I do this? What happened to the ability to say no? Then I got gas and tried to stop at a resale shop -- looking for some summer jammies for the warmer climes -- but that was a no go, as the only available parking spots had been parked over by neighboring cars, and the traffic in the lot was such that I thought I should just get out of the way. 

We spent the rest of the day at the Farm. I finally added the symbols of world religions to my bike flag (almost two months later!), and mended some things. As I sat under the canopy of the camp kitchen, I noticed again the painted gourds that had been hung from trees around the kitchen, and I was inspired. I had picked up a number of turkey feathers at Lake Wildwood (the turkeys molted in my aunt and uncle's yard, almost exclusively) and taken them with me, not knowing what purpose they might serve. I created a bird out of some fabric I had along and most of the feathers from Lake Wildwood. And I hung it under the added roof of my trailer. I have no idea how long it will last. Keeping it out of the sun will help. But I feel as though I've left a bit of my spirit and the spirit of the turkeys of Lake Wildwood at one of my favorite places so far on my trip.


My "spirit of the turkey", left behind at the Farm.

As I sat and sewed and relaxed, I realized how much the Manzanita Ridge Permaculture Farm reminded me of The Gilbert Road Reservation near Glen Arbor, Michigan, one of my all-time favorite quiet retreats. But in California, I was warm and dry, and I liked that. It was extremely hot, to the point where I felt as though sun steadily shining through the trees was burning patches on my skin. I had to keep adjusting my chair to keep from getting burned. But I was so comfortable and happy and at peace that I began thinking about asking Sean if he'd thought about having someone live in a trailer and manage the Airbnb part of the business for him. I have lots more places to go, but I'm still thinking about it.


Remy was HOT! This is his "den" under my bed in the trailer. I turned the fan on for him.


By about 6:30, I'd had enough sitting quietly and decided to go into Jackson for an expensive steak dinner. As Remy and I were seated on the patio, I noticed another woman sitting alone, and I thought about asking her if she'd like some company. Then, as the hostess took my drink order, I mentioned that I might have a glass of wine with dinner, and the woman turned and said, "Do you like Shiraz?" She recommended a local Shiraz, and I asked if she'd like company. Remy and I moved over to her table.

Her name is Anita Whitcomb. We had a delightful conversation that kept me at the restaurant until 9:30 -- two hours after my reservation. Anita and I exchanged contact information. She invited me to stay at her place (her husband is gone most of the week, working in the Bay Area) if I return to Jackson/Amador County.

THURSDAY:

I was supposed to drive straight to Oakland today to have lunch with my friend Maggie Martin from Grand Rapids, but sadly I got a message from her yesterday saying that her partner had had surgery yesterday and required nursing attention by Maggie, so she had to cancel. That left today wide open. I have a hotel reservation in King City this evening -- an area that has little to recommend it except that it's halfway between Oakland and San Luis Obispo, where I'll be for the weekend. I decided a while ago that I didn't want to drive down Highway 1 this trip because ... why, when I can't look at the scenery while driving? So I decided to return to Napa, where Alice and I visited 3 years ago.

Google Maps took me through the San Joaquin Valley to get here (I'm at the Napa Information Center right now). I ended up on a fairly non-main road that snaked through orchards and vineyards for miles. Since I wasn't in a hurry, it was very relaxing and beautiful. Most of the land was quite dry, like the more mountainous area I had just come from, but eventually I crossed the Sacramento River and thought, "There IS water around here!"


There IS water around here!

There was also a huge wind farm. I know these things bother some people, but I am awestruck by them every time. Two pictures of the wind farm.



Remy and I are off to walk, or possibly bike, around Napa for a few hours before we head on to King City. It's only supposed to get up to 86 degrees today, so it should be a very nice day for it. I hope to have more consistent WiFi through July 4, at least, so I'll be more consistent in my posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment