Monday, June 27, 2016

First day in LA!

This morning, I packed up my camp at Pete's Airbnb and headed for LA. I had breakfast before I left, but as I drove I started to feel really hungry. I searched for breakfast in Santa Barbara and came up with a couple of possibilities which I mapped and drove to. Both closed on Mondays! I spent nearly 45 minutes just trying to find someplace in Santa Barbara to get some breakfast. I finally came to Breakfast Bowl, which had very interesting offerings, most of them with grains; but I got a smoothie that satisfied me for a while.

I traveled mostly on 101 south to LA. I did go on a couple of other highways once I got close, but mostly 101. The traffic got heavier and heavier, the closer I came to the city; but we only came to a complete stop a couple of times.

I pulled up to my Airbnb and was greeted by my hostess, Joan, her dachshund and two cats. Remy was a bit overwhelmed, but he has been adapting pretty well to a lot of diverse circumstances, and I'm sure he'll adjust to this, as well.

We hung out for a couple of hours, me on the computer, Remy napping by my side. I thought about going out exploring, but it was darned hot, and as humid as it's been on my trip so far, and with the AC on at Joan's house I decided to stay in.

Alice got out of work just after 4:30. She took Harvey (my granddog) home, picked up her roommate, Cassidy, and came to get me. We had dinner at a Taiwanese place called Night Market & Song (I think). I had the Taiwanese sausage, and sweet potato greens sauteed with garlic. After dinner, the three of us (four, if you count Remy) went to an ice cream/sorbet place and met Alice's dear, dear friend, Jess. I had one scoop each of pear and lemon sorbet. Yum!

Then we just stood on the sidewalk and talked until it felt like time to go. I got some advice about what to do over the next few days, and Jess made herself available if I need her while Alice is at work.

When I got back to Joan's, I was able to help her with a computer problem (Can you believe it!? Me?!). Fortunately, the solution was something I'm familiar with -- turn it off and turn it back on. ;)

Hoping to have the wherewithal to have a nice long walk with Remy in the morning. And I get to meet Alice's boss, Barbara, tomorrow. I'm going to meet them for lunch.

It's hotter than normal in LA right now, but I think it's supposed to cool off in another day or so.


Joan is an artist and retired art teacher. This is a current project that she is working on.


The side wall upon entering the house.


More art.


A statue tribute to a past pet, a Corgi. Her current dog is a dachshund.


Getting a little bit tan. It's nice to have time to be outside in the beautiful weather!


Some gorgeous, flowering plant seen on Joan's street. Another tribute to Thomas Fouts and Thomas Henry, my favorite nature photographers.


One was not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment