Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Last day on the farm

I putzed around for a long time this morning, having some breakfast with Rob & Rose, and then just hanging out in my cabin. Finally, about 11:30, just after Rob and Joanne took off for the middle school where they were representing farming on Vashon to a group of students, Remy and I headed out on a bike ride around the southern part of the island.


You can get a little bit of an idea of the route we took from the screen shot above (taken from Strava). The day was cool and a bit windy, and there was one particular incredibly long hill on the south end of the island; but the difference from some of the daunting days on the earlier part of my journey was that I knew where the endpoint was. I knew where the farm was and approximately how far and how long it would take me to get back there -- and what to expect when I got there: food, a bed, familiar people, etc. The total was just over 18 miles. 

Last night, when Rob & Rose and I went for dinner, we tried first to go to their favorite Mexican restaurant. The place had just closed, but I was intrigued, so I went back this afternoon. It was delicious! I highly recommend Zamorana, in case you're ever in these parts.

I had some quiet time drinking water (I had forgotten to take my bottle with me!) and reading before first Rob and then Joanne appeared in their apartment. Rose had a play date plus supper with a friend, so Rob, Joanne, and I had supper together before Rob left for his evening plans. Joanne and I drove out to pick Rose up and stopped by the site of the sheep herding competition that starts tomorrow morning and goes through the weekend. I may buzz by there tomorrow and have a look before I head back to Kingston.

Lesson of the day -- or of the time here in Washington: I need to do more stuff with people. Nancy and Dick are busy with many activities in Kingston and the surrounding area, as well as their own projects at home and interaction with their children and grandchildren. Rob & Joanne (and kids) have lots to do as far as work, but they also have many interactions with not only their interns on the farm, but parents of their children's friends, and other individual friends and groups. 

I had become really isolated toward the end of my time in Michigan. It was "easier" to stay at home and play Sporcle games and look at people's Facebook posts than to get out and do things with people. I think I would really enjoy a book discussion group, and of course, theatre -- being in it, not just seeing it.

Food for thought.

Here are photos of the farm with captions. Tomorrow, before I leave, I want to get a shot of the cow. It's the coolest cow ever.


Tying up tomatoes in the greenhouse. Joanne said that the climate here made it difficult to get tomatoes to grow and ripen before the greenhouse.


The beauty of many kinds of lettuce.


Other green, growing things.


The gourmet salad mixing shed. You can see the parts of the large, orange salad spinner on the right, drying out for the next day of salad prep.


Outdoor part of the chicken enclosure. Can you see the chicken? (There are many, many more inside!)


Anyone who's ever been to the Gilbert Road Reservation in Michigan will, I think, appreciate this hose set-up. It certainly reminded me of the amazing network of hoses Bill Peterson had set up there.


A Maypole!


Monday night's supper: curry with fresh-picked peas and broccoli from the farm.


No comments:

Post a Comment