Sunday, June 26, 2016

Summer in California

California feels a lot different than Michigan in so many ways. For one thing, it's dry ... everywhere, even on the ocean. At least it doesn't get super humid the way summer does in W Michigan. I guess salt water must not get condensed into the air the way fresh water does -- but that's just a guess. Anyway, ever since Washington, I've been learning to stay hydrated even though I don't feel like I'm losing moisture, because I'm not sweating the way I would be at these temperatures in Michigan.

Here's another interesting thing: the temperature fluctuates as many as 40 degrees within just as many miles. The areas along the coast are much cooler, with a fog bank lying offshore that comes onshore sometimes in the mornings. There's a cool breeze, too. But move inland 10 miles and the temperature has already gone up considerably. Go inland far enough to be east of the first range of mountains or foothills, depending on where you are, and you're in for an extreme rise in temperature. For instance, yesterday, it was 97 at Phil's home inland and 57 at Morro Beach.

I had the extreme pleasure of being shown around the coastal areas near San Luis Obispo the last couple of days by Phil Panos, a high school friend with whom I acted in two shows in high school. He moved to the area about 40 years ago, right after high school, and has lived here most of the time since then. In addition, he is a trained docent at one of the lighthouses in the area and also takes people on guided trail hikes, so he knows a great deal about the history of the area, its people, its geography, and its economy. He worked for Alex Madonna -- if you haven't heard of him you might want to look him up -- and as an emergency responder (fire, ambulance). He currently works HVAC and other repair for the gov in the area, so I was lucky to get to see him when he had energy on the weekend!

Phil's son, Eli, runs an antique shop in Arroyo Grande. Here's Elvis outside of a shop near Eli's.



Here's Phil, playing around a little on the Greek bouzouki for me at his place.


A view of the tidepool beach at Montana de Oro Los Osos State Park. Unfortunately, we got there at high tide, so there weren't a lot of tidepools to be seen, but the view was gorgeous, and the temperature was cool.

A couple of tidbits to share: there are "grasshopper" pumps in Price Canyon on the back way from Morro to Pismo. They pump oil to keep it from running down the creeks and beaches -- think La Brea Tarpits. When one runs dry, they drill another to keep the ooze from coming into contact with the people of the area.

Real estate in the area runs between $100,000 and $5,000,000. A trailer camping spot at a waterfront location sells (yes, you can buy a spot like a condo) for $100,000.

San Luis Obispo is a college town. It has vegetarian restaurants and lots of coffee shops, like the one I'm sitting in right now, using the WiFi. It also has the bubble gum wall. My reaction? EW!



UPDATE: The drugs I was given in the hospital in King City were effective, so effective in fact that I have decided not to fill the prescriptions that were given to me. Phil and I walked over 4 miles today, and I feel fine. I recommit to the diet that I know helps me to be healthy and keep the Crohn's under control. Since Thursday, I've had no grains, no refined sweetener of any kind, no coffee, no beans, and no white potatoes. I have had some excellent fish and seafood, many vegetables, and I've been eating slowly and chewing well.

It was an education to become ill without my backup network. It is good to know that health professionals are at least well-intentioned wherever I go, even if they don't know me and don't want to hear what I have to say. I trust that I won't have to go through this again, and that wherever I settle I will find another circle of wonderful health people like I had in Grand Rapids. When I told Phil where I was in the hospital, his response was, "That s^&$hole?!" Okay, it was a very small town without a lot of resources, but they got me through this.

Oh! I have to show you photos of the Airbnb where I've been staying. It's almost like a hostel set-up, with some people sleeping in beds inside the house, including regular roommates and Airbnb guests, and me in a tent in the front yard. The worst part of the tent location is that the streetlight shone on me all night, and any time I woke up a teeny bit, I thought it was morning. I'll put something over my head tonight. The temperature dropped into the 50s last night, after a very hot day, so I was able to wear my hooded sweatshirt to bed and will do so again tonight.









Everything inside and outside of this place is like a collage. I like it. It reminds me of my approach to my garden on Eastern and to T-shirt quilts. "Oh, I like that! Where shall I put it?"

The following photos are from our walk along the boardwalk to the butterfly garden at Pismo Beach. The butterflies are apparently in residence between November and March. We saw one lonely monarch and a Swallowtail.


This is actually looking out over the surfing area of Pismo.


Here's the boardwalk, surrounded by succulents like the one below. Phil says they are difficult to burn, but when they do they are filled with an oil that makes a noxious odor.


Close up (trying to emulate Thomas Fouts) of one of the succulents. The flowers also come in yellow and a light pink.


Field of succulents in front of condos.

Moving on tomorrow (Monday) to LA. I'll be staying at an Airbnb there, trying to see friends during the weekdays, and doing stuff with Alice (including meeting her friends!) in the evenings.



No comments:

Post a Comment