Friday, June 17, 2016

Northern California

I found a cute little cafe in Klamath Falls yesterday morning. Its website advertised breakfast and, to be fair, they did have quiche; but I ended up with an unsweetened chai and walnut/raisin gluten-free cookie. I'm trying to get myself to the place where being hungry is better than eating grains. At lunch, I stopped at a 4-star Yelp recommended Mexican place in Redding, knowing full well that it's almost impossible to eat Mexican food without corn. I had two delicious chicken tacos (no cheese!), and two enchiladas (cheese). Both were made with corn tortillas.

Since I've observed a rash around my eyes after eating corn prior to this, I wonder if my current eye problem might be grain-related. As of this morning, I'm going to try to be strict with myself, at least for a few days, and see if it clears up the eye problem. Of course, it's already somewhat better after not wearing my contacts for a day. Hmmm ...

I arrived at Mary & Ward's (my aunt and uncle) about 3:30 yesterday afternoon. They live in a beautiful, gated community. Google led me to a street that came up to a chain link fence, on the other side of which was obviously the community, but which I could not get through. I enlarged my map and found another entrance, then followed the instructions from there. The house is huge. I was given the option of sleeping in the guest bedroom on the main floor, with my own bath, or having an entire apartment to myself downstairs. I chose upstairs because I want to interact with them, not be all by myself in the downstairs.

We had a lovely meal together and lots of conversation. Mary and Ward are students of contemporary philosophies/theologies and very interesting to talk with and listen to. After all my time alone and visits with others, it has been affirming to talk with them and remind myself of the journey of openness and acceptance that I'm on. It helps to remember that I'm making my choices daily that will take me where I need to go to learn whatever it is I need to learn. I don't have to have a plan. I don't have a plan.

I would like to find a place for an oil change (for the car) and a massage (for me), but so far no luck. The oil change places in these small communities are booked up at least a week out. Haven't heard back from the masseuse yet.

I'm excited that I get to see my cousin and her husband this evening (Kathy & Richard). They've lived out here most of their life together, and I have seen them very rarely. Their grown son lives near LA, so I hope to be able to see him in another week or so when I head down that way.

The picture below is of a mountain peak rising out of the clouds as I drove between Klamath Falls and Penn Valley. I think it's Mount Shasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment