Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Two days later - Jackson, CA


Hi, everyone! It's been two days because the place where I'm staying doesn't have WiFi, and neither did the place I had breakfast this morning. After I leave here, I doubt that will be much of a problem.

It was a hot drive yesterday to Manzanita Ridge Permaculture Farm where I'm staying. When I passed SE of Sacramento, the car thermometer read 103 degrees. Fortunately, it cooled off as I ascended to the farm, but it was still pretty warm. The trailer I'm sleeping in has been rigged with an "extra roof" to help keep the sun from overheating the inside of the trailer during the day. It seems to work. Plus, there's a fan. I put that on last night, but I really didn't need it all night. Maybe I'll turn it on a half hour or so before bed tonight, and then turn it off when I go to sleep.


The inside of the trailer, obviously, with yours truly reflected in the mirror.


Facing approximately SW.


The outdoor kitchen. Reminds me of the interns' kitchen at Plum Forest Farm.


This is where the bees drink. The grey water comes out of the sink, and the plants clean it. Two things I learned about bees and water: bees will only drink the cleanest water they can find, and bees want to fly around, so if you put water right next to their hive they won't partake. They'd rather fly a ways away to get their water.


Three stalls. Two have flush toilets.


One of the hives up the hill from my trailer.


My view last night from the doorway of my trailer. Honestly, folks, I'd rather see this with no crowds around than all the monumental grandeur of Yosemite with mobs of hot, tired tourists.


Solstice moon.


Morning moon.

The next few pictures show the damage that has been done to the trees in the Yosemite area by last year's fire, and by the drought. It was explained to me that some of the trees have been subjected to a controlled burn. Those have blackened trunks, but the upper foliage is healthy. I saw some of those, but I didn't get a photo.

It is easy to recognize the areas where the forest fires were. You'll see some of those photos below -- just acres of blackened trunks, some standing, some fallen.

And the third is the effect of drought on many trees. The docent I talked with said there's a bark beetle that is always something of a problem, but when drought happens, some of the trees that might otherwise survive the beetle just don't have the resources to do so. You'll see some photos below showing the brown pines.






Remy and I headed out reasonably early this morning for Yosemite. We stopped off for some breakfast, mostly because I was looking for WiFi, but while I had a good breakfast, I didn't succeed with the WiFi. 

The trip to Yosemite took over 2 1/2 hours. It was pretty interesting scenery, but the roads required much concentration, especially a portion of 120 that wound around the edges of mountains for about 5 miles, speed limit 20 mph for good reason. I was a little worried about that stretch coming back because I was feeling drowsy, but knowing how long it would be helped. Forcing Remy to stay out of my lap during it helped, too.

There were a heck of a lot of people at Yosemite. Parking was an issue. I finally found (made) a spot and walked over to an information yurt. The docent helpfully pointed out the trails on which I could walk with Remy and suggested that I catch the  next shuttle over to the main building. I took a quick look around there, reading about the glaciers, the layers of ecosystems on the mountains, and the animals that risk extinction if our climate continues to warm. Then I walked out the back door toward the theatre. 

It looked as though they were going to show a piece on Search and Rescue in the park, but while there was a very brief piece, it was more of an admonishment to hikers to be careful, especially around the water. That was followed by another short piece, and then a longer one about the history of the National Parks in general, and Yosemite in particular. The cinematography was wonderful, and the historical still photos were used well to illustrate the events. As I watched and listened, I thought how really wonderful it would be if everyone could have the kind of experience of the parks that Muir and Roosevelt did in the early 1900s. I suspect that, unhampered by Remy, and perhaps camping and hiking with a friend, I would have been able to experience more of that raw beauty, not impinged upon by thousands of eager tourists, sweating and struggling with decisions, food and water, children, etc. 

As it was, I'm glad I got to see the place. The drive in was magnificent. Truly awe-inspiring. The movie was good. The people were generally friendly. But it was really hot, and I didn't get to see much. I'm at an Italian restaurant with WiFi, just finishing up, and I'm really looking forward to getting back up the mountain (or foothill, or whatever it is) to my trailer where it's quiet and peaceful. 

More when I have WiFi again.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of people at Yosemite. I hope you got to see some beauty.

    ReplyDelete