Saturday, June 11, 2016

A smarter day

I woke up and took Remy out about 7:30 this morning -- about 2 hours later than I usually wake up -- and I was still tired. I thought I'd go back to bed for another hour and woke up at 10, but I was feeling much better. I hung out around the house till 11:30 or so, and then Remy and I headed out for some errands.

By the time I got back, it was time to start prepping for the dinner party. Since I had picked up rutabaga, Nancy found a recipe for me to use and assigned me the rutabaga part of the meal. I think the recipe might have been more successful if the rutabaga had steamed at a higher temperature, but it turned out okay. The recipe involved the addition of several tablespoons of buttermilk, as well as olive oil for liquid, and nutmeg, allspice, minced garlic, salt and pepper for flavoring.

Dick made the now infamous barbeque grilled chicken that we had on Memorial Day. Nancy made a squash with arugula veggie dish. And their friends brought an amazing slaw salad, and a dessert that I didn't get to try because it was a cake with wheat flour.

I stayed away from the wine this evening, and I feel much better for it. I did have a small amount of vanilla ice cream with Belgian chocolate sauce, but then I stopped. Oh yes, this works much better.

The guests this evening were Nancy's brother Jim and his wife Linda, and their friends Parnell and Glynnis. Fascinating people. Topics discussed: bicycling, including the STP (Seattle to Portland) ride that takes place each July, and the rails to trails project through downtown Seattle; dogs (Parnell has owned quite a number of them, and Remy was an object of interest); knee surgeries and the new stem cell treatment for rebuilding knee cartilege; various children, grandchildren, and other family members; stories from the past -- all sorts of things you might expect from a diverse, educated, active group of people.

And that was my day. I love the Pacific Northwest.




Back row: Nancy, her brother Jim, his wife Linda
Front row: Dick, Glynnis, Parnell


Remy & I with Nancy & Dick


No comments:

Post a Comment