Thursday, June 30, 2016

Another part of LA initiation

First thing this morning, I did laundry. Fascinating, I know. Fact is I couldn't go anywhere until I did because most of my clothes were dirty, including all my underwear. Finally, about 10, Remy and I took a walk to Sunset and along it till we came to a recommended breakfast (other meals, too, I believe) place called Trois Familia. The dish I had was -- crispy hash brown chilaquiles, sunny side up egg, cotija, salsa macho and avocado. It wasn't very big, and it was fairly expensive, but I was quite replete when finished, and it was marvelously delicious. They had many intriguing items on the menu.

I had jotted down the address of a nearby bike shop, mostly because the reviews of it reminded me of how I feel about the Freewheeler in Grand Rapids, so I wanted to go there. Their cheapest bike was about the price I paid for mine, and it didn't have any gears. If I want a new bike, I believe I'll have to wait till I get to a community where the cost of living is not as high -- maybe Oklahoma City.

I've seen a lot of bits of communities in LA now. I like it that there are so many small businesses. I know there are malls with the ubiquitous chain stores, but it's easy to avoid them if you want to. I have passed many juice bars, coffee shops, and restaurants. I'm sure many come and go each year, but the ones that people really love thrive. 

The other part of initiation to LA, of course, is the downside -- the theft of my bike from the back of my car on Tuesday, and today, a parking ticket. I may take the time to protest it. I put money in the meter, and the readout on the meter told me to be back at 3:39. I went off to do my thing, taking note of the time. When we (Alice's friend, Jess, and I) returned to the car at 3:35, there was already a ticket, and it was time-stamped 3:32. I think it requires some sort of protest. And as long as I'm at the police station, perhaps I'll file that report about the bike. I thought I was going to file on line today, but apparently the City of LA doesn't have that capability yet.

After Remy and I walked the mile back to Joan's and had a bit of a rest -- I sense that he's getting pretty exhausted with our pace, and his feet are getting sore from all the walking -- we met up with Jess and another friend, Matt, in the La Feliz neighborhood. We had outstanding smoothies at The Punch Bowl, which boasts a really unusual menu, and then browsed some vintage clothing shops, and a book and novelty shop called Wacko, before Alice got out of work and proposed (by text) that Jess and I meet her for a manicure. 

I went home to change for dinner, and Jess picked me up. I had an excellent manicure, and Alice and I departed for dinner to meet her new friend, David. We followed my Google maps, which took us a number of blocks out of the way and through a frustrating amount of traffic. But we had an amazing dinner at The Boiling Crab. This is one of those places where you get a bib, and the food just gets dumped on the table. 




Two lovely people, armed for eating messy crab and shrimp.

We ordered Dungeness crab, in part because Dick and Nancy had talked about how wonderful it is, and how it is caught in the Puget Sound area but difficult to get there because it's shipped to other places, like LA. We ordered shrimp, as well, and we started off with a half dozen oysters in the half shell. There weren't a lot of side dishes on the menu, and we were plenty full after what we ordered. 


The wreckage.


Alice's roommate, Cassidy, has been a little under the weather this week and wanted to get out, so we picked him up and went out for ice cream/sorbet. Then the young folks dropped me off. They were headed to a bar where Matt was working, and I just didn't relish the idea of yelling conversation again. Nearly everywhere we've eaten has been extremely loud, and it's not my favorite thing, as anyone from the ECC who's gone to Big Bobs with me will attest. 

I sponged off Remy's dirty, tired feet with a washcloth, to his great chagrin, and we're about ready to hit the hay. Alice has the day off tomorrow. In the plans are breakfast out, a trip to the dog beach, and an after work coffee with my cousin's son (what does that make him to me?) Dylan. 

I hope I get to see a lot more of these "friends of Alice" this weekend before I leave. It has been a true delight being treated so kindly by them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment