Friday, June 24, 2016

A Day at the Hospital

I know most of you are pretty happy that I made the choice I did to go to the hospital this morning. I'm not sure whether I am or not. If my appendix had been inflamed, it was the best possible thing I could do. Since it wasn't, I got a lecture about how the things I've been doing for the last 30 years to maintain my Crohn's weren't optimum and an accompanying warning about what will happen to me if I don't follow the mainstream line. I also had a nurse, wonderful in all other ways, who took offense to warning snaps from Remy and had him removed from the hospital. When it looked as though they were going to keep me overnight, several people spent all afternoon looking for someplace for him to stay. Poor little guy. The Animal Control people, in particular a wonderful woman named Dixie Gould, came to get him, and he squealed and protested as they loaded him into the truck.

Since stress is an issue with Crohn's episodes, all in all I wouldn't say it was a healing day.

The other stressful element is insurance. My agent told me early in the day that, if I was not admitted, nothing would be covered. My policy says $250 co-pay for emergency room visits. Of course that doesn't include the CT scans, but hopefully there's a co-pay on that, as well. What it came down to, the last doctor explained to me, is that my numbers didn't qualify me for an overnight stay, and once the insurance company saw the details they probably wouldn't cover the overnight. I figured I'd cut my losses and not stay overnight. I picked up Remy at Animal Control, and we're back in our less than stellar Days Inn room in King City.

Highlights of the day: Margie Gage went out of her way to find a place for Remy in King City, bless her. By the time I got the message, he had just been picked up by Animal Control.
                                My host at the Airbnb where I was supposed to be staying tonight, Pete, offered to come to King City and pick Remy up, even knowing that he was likely to be less than cooperative.
                                My FB friends and texting buddies kept my spirits up all day.

Downsides: The Mee Memorial Hospital is very small and old. The staff (except for Cindy) was exceptionally kind. Cindy did her best, but I could tell that Remy's nips had really put her off.
                  I am unaccustomed to this sort of thing. The last time I was admitted to the hospital was in about 1968 for knee surgery. I have sat at the bedside of many people, mostly my folks, but I haven't been the one in the bed, waiting, waiting, waiting ... in this case for someone to talk to me and tell me what's going on, or for someone to figure out what to do with Remy, or whatever.
                  I have four prescriptions. What the heck?! I won't fill them here in King City, anyway, so that will give me a little time to think about whether or not to fill them at all, or which ones I think I might need. It will also give me a chance to do some research on the medications and what their side effects are likely to be, since I'll have to detox those after I'm done taking them. By the time I reach a Walgreen's somewhere, I should have it figured out.
                   It was a beautiful day to spend in a dim e-room.

So that's all there is to tell about today. It's 5:30 p.m., and I'm going to lie down and sleep till I feel like waking up. Perhaps at that point I'll be able to tell how the healing is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment