Saturday, June 18, 2016

Long, full day around Penn/Grass Valley/Nevada City/Ananda Village

Today, Aunt Mary had a lovely young woman on the bridge over the Yuba River take a picture of us all together. She texted it to me. I saved it to my phone. My phone is hooked up to my computer. All of the pictures I took today are available to load to this blog, but I can't get the one I saved from text up here. I guess I'll see if I can post it on FB. If y'all have any thoughts ...

I generally wake up around 5:30 or 6:00, depending on when I go to bed. This morning I slept in till 6:30, took Remy out, fed him, had some non-grain granola and a heated up cup of decaf with coconut cream. Then I hung out on the computer for a while. When the rest of the household was up and at 'em, I had a shower, and then we departed for Kathy and Richard's (my cousin and her husband) near Ananda Village, waaayyy up a mountain.

But first, we had a stop at the Yuba River. Ahhhh! It looked cold, but there were people swimming. The water was beautiful! It calls to me. Here are the photos from our first encounter of the day with the Yuba River.




We watched the fellow on the rock in the center of the last picture for a bit, hoping that he wouldn't choose to dive in there. You can see the white water just upstream of the big rock in front of him. We were concerned that the water would be very fast and deep where he was. Once we all felt comfortable that he was just sunbathing, we got in the car and continued to Kathy and Richard's.

Talk about your curvy, steeply up and down, mountain roads! It's quite a drive. And then there's the gravel road that leads up to their house. I'm sure they're always grateful to arrive home.

Kathy was in the process of preparing a wonderful lunch for us when their landlord and neighbor, Gary, stopped by with a box of chocolates. We all sat in the living room for a while and had a great conversation. Remy curled up and went to sleep on my lap. When Gary left, lunch preparations continued, and we were served curried paneer on green salad with a basil, garlic, cashew dressing. Wow! And accompanying that was a flowery lemonade. Here's a picture of the outside of Kathy & Richard's house, but it doesn't give you the flavor of it at all. The downstairs houses the bedrooms and bathroom, as well as a music/sitting room. Upstairs is the most delightful, colorful yet relaxing and spiritually peaceful living space -- open kitchen, dining and living room.


If you looked out the windows you see above, you'd be gazing out from the top of the stairway. The boat belongs to Gary.

After lunch, we took two cars to go to Ananda Village. I rode with Kathy and Richard and had all the landmarks and important points shown to me, and I got to hear something of the story of Ananda Village. Kathy and Richard have been there for about 20 years. Kathy teaches in the school, and Richard works at Dawn Publishing, which is an Ananda business.

Here are photos from the Village.


Looking out from one of the windows of the chapel beneath which Kriyananda is buried. The vista was amazing, and the space was so quiet that my ears tried to create sound.


Gazebo on the grounds of Ananda Village.

The Village is truly that, a self-contained community with a store, school, and other businesses, as well as meeting spaces that can be reserved by outside groups, and a couple of shops with beautiful spiritual items for sale. (I bought some cool stuff!)

When we left Ananda, we headed back for another view of the Yuba, this time including a hike along a ledge overlooking a popular swimming area.


If you look closely, you may be able to see swimmers in and around the glorious, clear green water. After we hiked along the ridge, we descended to put our feet in and get Remy a drink. Then we met up with Mary and Ward and headed off to Nevada City for wonderful Thai food on the cool, inviting patio of Sopa Thai Cuisine. 

I'm pooped. I'm finishing up some laundry and heading to bed. Hope to bike tomorrow before things get rolling.



No comments:

Post a Comment