Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Short post, lots of photos

I awoke this morning at Plum Forest Farm. A lot of people live here, but I didn't hear any of them up and about when I got up. Remy and I tried to sneak quietly into the house to use the bathroom, but at least two cats streaked away into Rose & Mira's room as we approached. I prepared some breakfast, and we took it back out to the cabin.


The futon in Remy's and my cabin room. I'm standing in the doorway, taking the picture. We are quite cozy here.


About 9:30, Rob notified me that work was beginning out in the farm. I took Remy out and put his tie out where he could see me at work. Then Rob trained me in my first job, sorting and prepping lettuces. After that, I prepped beet greens and some other greens. Then, I took the buckets of assorted greens and, through a very specific and time-tested process, mixed them in a large tub, carefully cleaning tub, buckets, and hands at every step, to make sure no bacteria made their way into the finished, bagged "gourmet salad mix." After the greens were properly washed and mixed, they went into an extra large salad spinner and were bagged and labeled. I did all the steps except the last one, which Carrie, one of the interns, did.

By the time I finished that job, Rob said I didn't have to stay out there all day. I came back to my cabin, checked Facebook, fell asleep for a bit, and generally had some down time.

After Joanne's preschool kids left, I went inside and had lunch with Rob, Joanne, a former intern who stopped by to visit, Talitha (sp?), and Mira, who had stayed home from school today from utter exhaustion.

Joanne and Mira went to a graduation off-island this evening, and I got to hang out with Rose and one of her friends for a bit before they went to soccer practice, and then I took Rob and Rose out for supper in Vashon. Unfortunately, their favorite Mexican spot was closed. We had a decent, although not exceptional, meal at The Red Bicycle Bistro & Sushi.

I think tomorrow I will do some Vashon sightseeing by bicycle, as well as get some pictures of the farm itself.


Rob and 10-year-old Rose figuring out how to turn the volume back up on the cell phone.


Rob and Joanne sharing the popcorn afternoon snack with me, Rose, and one of Rose's friends.


Rob in the kitchen.


Mira after school on Monday.


This is where we are on Vashon Island. Plum Forest Farm.


Hood Canal bridge on the way back from Port Angeles.


The end of the sunset on Sunday, as I drove back to the RV Park.


From Ediz Spit.


Panorama to give you an idea how narrow Ediz Spit is.


Rocks piled along the western side of Ediz Spit to keep it from eroding. Now that the Elwha Dams have been taken down, silt from the river will probably start accumulating again, which may reduce the need for the rock barrier.


Earlier sunset picture from Ediz Spit.


Sailboat on the bay, from Ediz Spit.


One of many interesting sculptures in the waterfront area of Port Angeles.


Kayakers in the bay, backed by a large vessel.


Restroom sign at New Day Eatery.


Baby humpback breaching.


Again.


Nose of an adult humpback checking out another whale-watching boat.



Lighthouse near Victoria.



No comments:

Post a Comment